COVID-19 Protection Framework & Vaccine Mandate Update
4 April 2022
Kia ora koutou,
In anticipation of the COVID-19 Protection Framework changes regarding government vaccine mandates for workers that are to be implemented at 23:59hrs this evening, Monday 4th April, we are endeavouring to clarify the information we have (and are still yet to obtain) for Massage New Zealand registered therapists.
From 11:59pm on 4 April 2022, some government vaccine mandates for workers will be removed.
Workers that will still be covered by a government vaccine mandate include:
- health and disability sector workers
- prison staff
- border and MIQ workers
Vaccine mandates remain in place for these sectors because workers in these areas have a high level of contact with people at risk of developing serious illness from COVID-19. For border workers, there is a high risk of exposure to new variants.
Our comprehension of the above mandate changes has been summarised in the following points, which have been submitted to the Ministry of Health (MoH) for further clarification:
- Massage therapists working in designated premises must be vaccinated.
- Massage therapists working in aged care, hospitals, hospice or health & disability facility must be vaccinated.
- Massage therapists working in close contact businesses (those working one to one with clients in settings other than designated premises, aged care, hospitals, hospice, health and disability facility) - do not have to be vaccinated
- Massage therapists working with compromised clients must be vaccinated
Our aim is to provide sound guidance to those of you practicing within our profession. We request your continued professionalism and patience as we wait for the information from MoH.
It is vital, for therapist and clients' safety that we continue with:
- Remain at home if you are symptomatic; advise clients to do the same
- COVID-19 screening as part of your client intake on their arrival
- Health and hygiene, cleaning and sanitising protocols
- Room and/or clinic ventilation
- Face mask requirements
We will be in touch again soon.
Nga mihi nui,
Find a Therapist: