What we do
Massage Aotearoa New Zealand (MANZ) is the only massage therapy specific membership body in New Zealand for professional Massage Therapists.
Our purpose is to promote massage therapy and the ongoing development of the massage industry in New Zealand through educating the public about the benefits of massage therapy for health and wellness and supporting the public to access high quality massage therapy through our database of MANZ registered Massage Therapists.
As a self-regulated, voluntary membership association, MANZ promotes the massage profession by requiring members achieve educational competency, clear standards of client care, practice and ethics, and meet ongoing requirements to maintain membership. This helps to ensure protection for the public. Massage Therapists who join MNZ are recognised as professionals.
We support our members through promoting massage therapy, providing members with support, resources and information, promoting continuing professional development and networking opportunities, facilitating mentoring and peer support relationships between members and negotiating group discounts and benefits.
Purpose and mission
To promote health and wellness in Aotearoa New Zealand through quality massage, and advocate the successful development of the association.
We believe in and support Integrity, Choice, Competency, Effectiveness, Quality, Inclusiveness, Responsibility and Growth.
Objectives (as stated in the MNZ Constitution)
- Organise and promote the profession of massage therapy.
- Encourage high standards of knowledge and competency amongst the members.
- Encourage the dissemination of research in massage therapy.
- Provide Code of Conduct and standards of practice and seek to ensure that the conduct of the profession is regulated by the members.
- Seek to ensure a register is kept of members and a disciplinary mechanism is established and maintained by the profession.
- Seek to ensure the quality and delivery of massage training in New Zealand.
- Provide ongoing training and mentoring to members.
- Publish journals and other publications.
- Co-operate and become members of, or affiliate with, any other incorporated or unincorporated organisation, company, educational institution, regulatory board, or any organisation, which in any way promotes the objectives of MNZ.
- Foster, support and protect the interests of the members of MNZ.
- Make arrangements with any trade, business or profession for the provision to the members of any special benefits, privileges and advantages and in particular to goods and services.
- Lobby Governments and regulators in pursuit of the objectives.
- Improve the social and economic position of members.
History of MANZ
MANZ (previously MNZ) is an Incorporated Society that was formed in 2006 as a result of a merger between two organisations - the Therapeutic Massage Association of New Zealand (TMANZ) and the Massage Institute of NZ Inc (MINZI). The two organisations merged to enable one united voice for the massage industry in New Zealand to be heard, providing support for members and the public, and acting as an advocate for both relaxation and therapeutic/remedial massage. The merger took place at a joint conference in Auckland in 2006 with the first committee of MNZ being made up of members of both organisations.
Find a Therapist: